Saturday, July 11, 2009

Appointment in Jerusalem


I finished this book during my two days of lying in bed. When I started reading it, I just couldn't resist it. This is a good book for new Christians as Lydia explained how she met God when she earnestly seek Him. God also showed her the purpose of her life and lead her to Jerusalem with where she started children's home. She left her prominent Job in Denmark, and arrived Jerusalem penniless, but God is faithful and provide her all the while she's there.
During my read, I felt the excitement, the fear, the nervousness that she have experienced, and yes, get this book if you want to know more about God. I'm sure I would read it again and again!
Also, from this book, I only realised that actually we Christians owed big time to Jerusalem. I'll quote the page from this book on what she has said when she experienced the siege between the Muslims and the Jews, and when she meditated on the Bible, the verses of Isaiah 62:6-7.
...Searching out God's purpose for Jerusalem led me on naturally to His purpose for Israel.The two, I discovered, were intertwined and could not be separated. The very prophecies that promised mercy and restoration to Jerusalem promised the same also to Israel. The first could not be fulfilled apart from the second.
And how many promises of restoration for Israel I found! From first to last, the prophetic writings were full of them. How far, I wondered, had these promises already been fulfilled? In the decade since the war of 1914-1918, a steady trickle of Jews had been coming back to their land. But - if I rightly understood what I was reading - this was but a prelude to something far greater. God had actually committed Himself, through His prophets, to regather them as an independent nation in their own land. To this end, He had declared, He would bend all the forces of history....."What a strangely warped view we Christians have had all these years," I finally said to myself. "We have acted as though we were sufficient in ourselves, owing nothing to Israel or Jerusalem and needing nothing from them. And yet the truth is that God's plan of peace and blessing for all nations can never come to completion until both Israel and Jerusalem are restored - and He expects us to be His cowokers in bringing this to pass."
This part of the book has opened my eyes up, that we as Christians should pray hard for the peace and the people in the Palestine area, if it's not for this nation (the Jews), we wouldn't have got save and become Christians. If this part of the world has no peace, then there would be no peace at the other part of the world. This place seems small, and not an eye-catching place, yet it has its unseen forces that can destroy the whole world.
This is only my own understanding for this part that she wrote, and I hope all who has read this article, you would go borrow or buy this book. It really worths a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment